Sunday, September 14, 2008

Lumber Day


My task for today was to move as much of this lumber (which I bought for $10 at auction yesterday) as possible from a barn near Xenia to our farm near Wilmington, about 25 miles away. I collected two very full truckloads today and got them stashed in our barn, which took about 8 hours all told. Most of this stuff is 16 feet long, so I had to cut it into 10' pieces before I put it in my little pickup. And I had to fish it out of the barn loft, by myself, before cutting and loading. Still, I got a lot of high-value trim molding, a lot of oak lumber and (not pictured) more antique cabinet doors, drawers and frames that match the ones I bought at auction yesterday. The former owner, Dr. Gruber, has been great to work with and gave me the extra stuff, and extra time to pick out the lumber beyond the auction company's standard two-hour window.

I was going to make a third trip late this afternoon but a fierce windstorm blew through the area. Trees and electric wires were draped across roads, and the last load of lumber I hauled felt unstable as the gusts reached (I heard later) 78 m.p.h. So I called it a day. Lee Ann and I plan one last load tomorrow after work, and that will be enough.

No comments: