Friday, June 12, 2009

Glamorous Business Travel


Here I am in Kansas City, at the Motel 6 Airport. (Despite what the sign says, because I booked online my rate is $33.99 per night.) After working Monday at the office in Cincinnati, I flew here and have visited two scrap processing facilities and one transportation facility in three days.
I don't mind work travel, but it is not what non-business travelers think it is. To save money I stay in cheap motels and eat takeout food. So as not to cut into my work days, usually I do my traveling nights and weekends, and I generally work long days while I am on the road. There is no social component or entertainment value in most trips. But I am very happy to still be working and the company treats me well, so I can't complain. Besides, I only travel occasionally now, which makes a huge difference. A year or two ago I was on the road constantly, burned out and ready to jump off a bridge.
Tonight I will be sleeping in my own bed - yay!

No comments: