Friday, January 15, 2010

Kitchen Island Top


Our little kitchen at East Main has never had a lot of counter space, and cabinet storage is minimal too. When I started disassembling the 1980s kitchen at the Tower House, I saw that the cabinets were nice solid wood and figured I could use them someplace else. Eventually I hit on the idea of building an island from a couple of the base cabinets.


But I needed a top for the island. Lee Ann and I kicked around several ideas for it. Then I saw a Craigslist ad for a guy that works in butcherblock. I called him and he agreed to build the top I needed - and here is an "in progress" photo he sent me yesterday. Looks pretty good! He uses alternating red oak and poplar, 1.5 inches thick. The base cabinets are already in place in our kitchen, and I hope to have the completed top set in place sometime this weekend. More pictures soon.

2 comments:

Brian said...

That is very cool. A great way to give those cabinets a new (and better) life.


Also, tell Annie that being a Buckeye would be ok except when playing MSU.

The McAlpines said...

Thanks - I'll tell her!