Friday, December 28, 2012

Greenhouse Repairs


I have been very bad about posting this year, but I do have some photos that I will post now - before I accidentally delete them from my camera.

This is the greenhouse that is attached to the west side of our house, off the kitchen.  It is perched on a frame knee-wall that had deteriorated and was in danger of collapsing under the weight of all that glass.  We thought about tearing the whole thing off, but instead this spring I rebuilt the knee-wall.  This was a bit tricky because I did it with the greenhouse still in place.  I used a jackpost and did a little at a time, and now the whole thing is buttoned up and ready for new siding.

We had a bit of drama here later, when a drunken painter fell from a walking board and crashed through the greenhouse roof.  That's all fixed now, and the painter was not seriously hurt.  Over the winter I hope to insulate and finish the knee-walls and floor of the greenhouse, ditching the current astroturf carpet in favor of tile.  Maybe we will put a fountain in there too.  This could become my favorite room of the house.   

No comments: