Thursday, September 24, 2015

Concrete Progress


Our back porch had a set of wooden steps down to ground level, but they were not ideal.  They would not hold paint, and were too narrow for comfort, so I knew I would replace them someday.


Then I had a vision - the new steps would be concrete, with pedestals on either side to hold a pair of yard sale concrete lions Lee Ann he picked up some years ago.  The lions were stuck behind the carriage barn doing next to nothing, and by placing them at the back steps I could echo the look we have at the front entrance, which has rather grand lions on either side of the stoop.


Inspired by this vision and with a long holiday weekend at my disposal, I tore off the old steps, dug out some dirt, laid gravel, built forms, and mixed and poured 29 bags of concrete.  It was hard work (they don't call it Labor Day for nothing!) but the resulting steps are just what I hoped for.

No comments: