Thursday, May 15, 2008

Busy

On Wednesday Annie was scheduled for a lacrosse game at 6:00 p.m. in Springboro and a band concert at Lebanon high school at 7:00. The scheduling was tight, so we knew that Annie (and the other two band members on the team) would be pressed to finish the game in time to make the concert. I (Scott) left work early to make sure I was at the field in plenty of time. But the single referee did not show up until 6:20, delaying the start of the game until 6:30. At the half (with the score 5-2 in our favor) Annie tore off her goalie gear and we made a mad dash to the high school. I got her there only a few minutes after the concert began, so she joined in and it all worked out. And we heard that the team won their lacrosse game 9-2, even without three of our players.

Now the regular season is over and the Lebanon Lady Warriors finished 9 and 4. At first I figured they would have a lopsided losing record (first year team and all), and was philosophical. It really is all about the exercise, and the team effort, right? But then I got caught up in her team's winning and found I was taking an unseemly pride in their success. Generally I look down on the sports-addicted and disapprove of this exercise of clannish us-against-them mentality. Now I am gathering perspective from my own brush with fan-ism.

No comments: