Sunday, July 12, 2009

The View - Scary Wonderful


From my perch atop the ladder I have this view of the beautiful Ohio countryside and the farmstead across Route 73 to the south. I would probably enjoy it more if I were not a good ten feet above my comfort level height-wise. The eaves of the house on this side are about 24 feet off the ground, so I stand on a rung of my extension ladder 17 feet high to paint them. Eek. My knuckles have been inventing new shades of white.


I always have been scared of heights, so it has been Lee Ann who did any high painting required on our various house projects (bless her heart) - but this house has been all mine. It took me a while to work up to this height. Contrary to good housepainting practice I started with the low parts of the wall and just now am working on the highest.

2 comments:

SHIRK said...

That view from the house is refreshing to see! We have quite different landscapes here in El Paso. I'm also very impressed with all the DIY pictures. House is looking good. Your choice of gas-warmed cuisine was creative too.
Love from TX,
Matt Shirkey

The McAlpines said...

Matt, I like seeing your Fort Bliss area pictures too. That's a different looking part of the country, all right. Your landscape color palette is completely different from what we are used to seeing here in the midwest. The light seems more intense, too, and atmospheric perspective is noticeably absent.

Yes, I'm quite the chef. Mostly Lee Ann cooks, but when left to my own devices I revert to my bachelor instinct for meals that are cheap, filling and involve only one pan.