Wednesday, April 28, 2010

In Kansas City


So here I am in exotic Kansas City - well, really Independence, MO. I flew in Monday night and have spent the last two days in safety training sessions with groups of our scrapyard folks. We have an affiliate headquartered here with 17 facilities in Kansas and Missouri, so I visit pretty often. Others in my party stayed at nice hotels but I am in a Motel 6 down the road, setting the standard for thrift as usual.

The highlight of this trip is that I got to see a Kansas City Royals game last night. The Royals lost to the visiting Mariners 3-2, but I wasn't particular about who won anyway. What was really great was our seat location - lower deck, ten rows back between home plate and third base (but closer to home). The former owner of our operations here has season tickets but never goes to the games so we got $45 seats for free. We were so close you could talk to the players in the on-deck circle, if you wanted to - and we had a good angle to call balls and strikes too. The weather was nice, and there was enough action on the field to keep your attention. It made for a late night, and I was groggy during my training today, but it was worth it.

No comments: