Thursday, April 1, 2010

Well - THAT Was Unpleasant

Apparently Google has taken over Blogspot, the original host for this blog. Nobody asked my permission. Instead, when I tried to log in one day in mid-March I was hit with a cheerful greeting from GoogleBlog, or whatever they are calling it now, and curt instructions that I now would need a Google account for access.

That rubbed me the wrong way, so I stopped even trying to post for a while. Then, when I resigned myself to compliance with the new requirements, I found that the re-registration process was not working - the system did not recognize my old password. More time went by.

Finally Annie asked why I was not posting and I told her my problem. She had it fixed in about eleven seconds, so now I am blogging again. But I'm not so happy about it. Stupid Google.

So here are the highlights from the past three weeks:

ANNIE IS SICK. She has the mother of all flu bugs and is suffering through day eleven of a shifting multiplicity of symptoms which have included severe body aches, a sinus infection and a week's worth of fever/chills. Her sole remaining complaint is an upset stomach and the accompanying vomiting. Two doctor's visits and three prescriptions have failed to give much relief - to her or the rest of us.

THE COLLEGE APPLICATION/ACCEPTANCE PROCESS IS DONE. Of seven schools, only one did not offer Annie admission. That was UCLA, which accepts few out-of-staters. But her real stretch was applying to Washington & Lee in Virginia, an elite school well beyond our means, and she got an acceptance from them last week.

YESTERDAY - NEWS OF THE BIG SCHOLARSHIP! Roanoke College (also in Virginia) hosted a competition on campus three weeks ago to select the winners of their large academic scholarship awards. Annie got the news by phone yesterday that Roanoke was awarding her a four year full-tuition scholarship. WooHoooooo! But she is waiting to get final offer letters from all six schools (the others are Ohio State, Miami (Ohio), Kent State, Earlham and Washington & Lee) before she decides which to attend, and should have those in hand by the end of next week.

DEVELOPING - Lacrosse season starts with three games next week. Lovely spring weather is here, allowing Lee Ann to start garden and landscape work. I untarped the tractor today at the Tower House and started 'er right up - mowing season looms. I painted the upstairs bath walls here at East Main a couple of weeks ago - a tangeriney color, not nearly as bad looking as you probably think - but now can switch to outside projects. Lee Ann has her project horse Nick in pretty rideable condition, and his training is progressing.

And that's the news.

No comments: