Sunday, January 6, 2013

New Half Bath Cabinet

Our half bath is wedged into a small sliver of what used to be the back porch, so there is barely enough room to turn around in there and no storage space at all.  Some previous owner had hung a tiny flakeboard, "Made in China" cabinet on the wall above the toilet where we had a few things stashed, but we always knew we would replace that down the road with something larger.

Finally this reached the top of my list and starting New Year's weekend I made and hung a new cabinet.  I built it out of old lumber (mostly shelving boards I took out of the pantry two years ago when we redid that) and with recycled doors and hardware (which came out of the old kitchen at Georgetown twelve years ago).  The hardest part of the project was stripping and refinishing the pine doors - all those louvers!  But I wanted to do a good job so I spent hours with rags, steel wool and lacquer thinner, getting spacey and removing the old finish so I could relacquer them.  Now that I see the finished product, I think painting would have been better.

Blogger is being contrary, so I will post the picture later...

Edited 1/4/14:  Now it works!  Picture attached.

No comments: