Monday, September 14, 2009

The Big Score

Here in the hyperkinetic McAlpine household, a weeknight's family amusement might include a little ultimate kickboxing, the ever-popular juggling knives while riding unicycles, or (more commonly), a game of Scrabble. It is usually me versus Lee Ann, since Annie is afraid of damaging our delicate egos and participates sparingly.

Tonight's game stood out because I scored 516, which might be a personal best. I don't remember scoring five hundred plus since my childhood when we played by Grama Miller rules and kept counting the double/triple words and letters even if they had been covered in a previous play, which really jacked up our point totals.

Some words Lee Ann and I accept probably don't appear in a Scrabble dictionary and would never fly in tournament play, but our house rules are fairly relaxed. In any case, the big play of this game was legit - I used all seven of my tiles and covered two triple word spaces by playing "graphite" in the lower left corner of the board for 203 points. Lee Ann gets an assist for playing "bar" immediately beforehand to set me up. Thanks honey!!

2 comments:

Brian said...

That's pretty frickin' awesome. Thank you for getting that out of your system before the next time we play.

Way to go, Roy!

The McAlpines said...

Oh no - now you'll be expecting more than I can deliver!